January 02, 2010

TOP TEN RECORDS 2009

1. Sonic Youth The Eternal
A band that has been around for so long should be putting out bad records not good ones. They threw in some Wipers influence and split the vocal duty and song writing just right on this one. Can’t wait to hear what they come up with next and how many bands can you say that for who were around since 81, or 91 even 2001.

2. Wasted Time Futility
I am happy to say one of the best releases in hardcore this year is from Richmond and that is by no means why it is on this top 10. Start to finish this is a full on pissed hardcore punk metal freak sound track in the vein of SSD or Negative Approach, this is killer. A classic.

3. Marked Men Ghosts
Short, fast, good songs that got stuck in my head all year. Simple and brilliant like the Ramones. Catchy lyrics and hooks played like they mean it that will make you want to hit the dance floor. I will be playing this for years.

4. Pissed Jeans King Of Jeans
Lyrics so simple, honest and clever I wish I wrote them. Think Jesus Lizard and a touch of Pixies in a blender and you get punk that is hard to classify and for lack of a better word well, rocks.

5. Mos Def The Ecstatic
It’s rare that a hip hop album comes out that start to finish is well written, smart and relevant to the times. I could not believe how good this was when I first heard it. I played it three times in a row. Songs about art and war and issues that are bigger then just Mos Def that can speak to every one if they would give it a chance. My soundtrack to the gym this year.

6. Obits I blame you
I love Ricks voice, he could sing over a Creed song and I would like it. This is surf style laid back rock songs perfect for the beach and long drives. Of course the lp art done by Rick also looks amazing. My favorite lyrics of 2009 are from Fake Kinkade - I’ve felt the power of imagination move ordinary men.

7. The Shitty Limits
Beware the limits
Snotty, sloppy, clever Wire style punk from the UK that still has a hardcore edge to it. Definitely give this a listen if you haven’t heard it.

8. Dinosaur Jr. Farm
J. Mascis and Lou Barlow back again for another solid release. Cover art rules, J’s voice sounds great and the awesome solos are there as always. Loved seeing them live this year and J. played solos even in between the songs. A true guitar hero.

9. Morrissey Years of refusal
The songs on this are the most rocking since Your Arsenal and it’s Morrissey you either love him or hate him, you know the deal. His best release in some time.

10. Young Governor Hidden Love
Catchy, fast, songs with awesome vocal patterns that reminds me of Jay Reatard a comparison I’m sure has been made before but this definitely has its own powerful sound. I found myself listening to this a lot lately.

Best live bands 2009
Jesus Lizard, Fucked Up, Wasted Time, My Bloody Valentine, The Night Marchers.

WTF hardcore moment 2009
Chain Of Strength The Hundreds shirt

Best blog 2009
www.teetilldeath.com
eBay and hardcore together as one by people who update the site as much as I check it.

Best movie 2009
Fantastic Mr. Fox

Best Reunion Show 2009
Zero Boys No Way Fest Richmond, VA

Best Fest
Fun Fun Fun Fest Austin, TX.


2 comments: